Advertising alternative payment services provide merchants with a method to present consumers free products and services while getting paid by other advertisers.
In general advertising alternative payment services are considered to be safe and trusted as an alternative payment option. Consumers have enjoyed receiving trial products for just trying a payment service, but there has been some backlash to trial products being over estimated in price. Consumers have said that many of the trial services are basic free versions for use.
Advertising alternative payment services have become a valuable resource to help motivate consumers' purchasing behavior. This payment alternative is not suitable for all merchants but it has shown traction in a variety of niche markets such as gaming, software and subscription based services.
The possibility to increase sales, lower costs and partner with name-brand companies provides a favorable value proposition for this payment option.
Pros and Cons of Advertising Alternative Payment Services Include:
Partner with name-brand companies and boost your brand association
Increased revenue (as the payout from an advertiser may exceed your regular price)
Guarantee against charge backs
Customers may have to "jump through hoops" to get what they want
Alternative Payments:Advertising Alternative Payment Services
Advertising alternative payment services are a completely new concept that has developed over the last few years to provide an interesting new revenue model for some merchants. In brief the advertising alternative payment option pays for a consumer's goods or services if they opt in to a marketing program. The marketing program could be a survey, to watch an advertisement or to signup for a newsletter. This is the first payment option that actually has incentive for both the consumer and merchant. For the consumer they can get free products or services and for the merchant they get paid the full value of their goods.
The transactional advertising service providers have shown rapid growth; as seen by the recent emergence of one of these service providers into the top 5 alternate service providers list. The explosive growth of this option as lead to several new companies that have entered this space.
Key considerations when implementing or buying this functionality include:
- How will the service appeal to my customers?
- Is the advertising alternative payment service susceptible to market fluctuations?
- Is the value added proposition suitable for my vertical market?
- How does the cost savings compare to other methods that are currently utilized?
- The long-term success of these advertising alternatives is unproven but they provide an interesting approach to increasing sales conversion.
How does it work?
You create an offer for consumers that you provide to the service provider for distribution. The service provider posts your offer on other merchants websites at the time of checkout. If the consumer selects the offer, you pay an advertising charge, and acquire a new customer. On your site you display offers from other merchants, if a consumer selects one of the offers, you get paid a fee. Essentially the consumer is getting the product for free or at a discount by opting into an offer from another merchant. The shopper then becomes a customer of both the advertiser and the merchant.
Guide to Alternative ecommerce payments.
If you are in the market for new alternate payment options you should consider purchasing our Guide to Alternate Payment Options. The Guide goes beyond a general market assessment to provide information businesses need to assess solution options and service providers.
Fundamentals for Selecting ecommerce payment options
The Fundamentals of eCommerce Payment Options online training course provides an introduction to the world of eCommerce payments. The course provides an overview of the main eCommerce payment options that exist today, why businesses use alternative payments, how eCommerce payment options are grouped, as well as providing examples, mind share, market share, and the major players.
Introduction to Ecommerce Fraud Fundamentals.
Provides participants foundation level knowledge about the theories, best practices and terminology surrounding electronic payment fraud. Presented in a standard format covering the history of eCommerce Fraud, consumer fraud, merchant fraud, fraudster motivation, fraud trends, identity verification and phishing.
- Alternative Solutions - Payment aggregators and credit cards are the most popular form of payment services. Cash payments,invoicing and credit terms alternatives are also viable alternatives. Google Checkout and Amazon Payments both offer a similar value proposition to advertising alternative payments offering advertising based incentives.
- Estimated Costs - Costs vary based on the vendor you select. The fees for these services are based on CPA charges related to successful advertising placements. While the cost of the trial products offered may be arguable, the value provided to merchants is obvious.
- Vendors - TrialPay, Tapjoy, Super Rewards