Credit cards play a critical role in the online ecommerce alternative payment landscape. It is often said that if you aren't using credit cards then your not doing business online.
The major credit card brands – American Express, MasterCard, VISA and Discover – have been the online payment options of choice since e-commerce was born. Credit cards enable merchants to conduct international cross border transactions and greatly expand the potential for converting sales and gaining new customers.
Credit card online sales have continued to grow at a rapid pace and will continue to dominate the online payment landscape for some time to come.
The Fraud Practice works with merchants in all verticals around the world to negotiate and setup merchant accounts. We offer a free competitive analysis to any merchant looking to see if they can get a better deal on their merchant account. We know which acquirers and payment service providers support which verticals. We also know where you can get the best possible pricing terms. Through our relationships with over 14 acquirers we will competitively shop your deal discreetly. We typically can save merchants 20% to 60% on their existing rates.
Credit card paymentspayment overview
In general credit cards are a reliable, convenient and safe way for a merchants to accept online payments. Credit cards have been shown to be important in all vertical markets around the world. However, Credit Cards have not been shown to be dominate in all parts of the world. Some countries and regions have preferences for alternative payments that are not based on credit cards. Credit cards charge what are called "interchange fees" which can range in cost and vary from country to country. Key considerations when implementing or buying this functionality include:
- Credit card payments are easy to implement and offer wide adoption with relative security, but they generally are higher cost to merchants than other payment options and offer limited to no fraud protection to merchants.
- Can credit cards be utilized by individuals in the region you do business?
- Finding the right acquirer is critical. When looking to establish a merchant account you need to find an acquirer that supports your vertical market, your regional operations and who can provide you with value and support run your operation efficently.
- It is our experience that many merchants are paying more than they should for payment processing becuase they don't understand the fees that are associated with it. Credit card fees aren't just "interchange" based.
- What is the credit card implementation trend for the regions you intend to do business in?
How does it work?
Credit cards are part of a payment system that allows the card holder to purchase goods and services based on a promise that the card holder will pay for those goods and services. The card issuer grants a credit line to the consumer from which they can borrow money to pay a merchant. Merchants then pay the credit card companies a small percentage of every transaction for being able to use the card as a form of payment.
The Fraud practice llc.
Offering a neutral, unbiased, source for information related to setting up and maintaining solutions for online payments and fraud prevention.
Introduction to eCommerce Credit Card Payments.
Covers the credit card process flow defining each of the "payment players"; reviews payment concepts such as authorizations, settlements, reversals, chargebacks and the credit card association's high risk programs.
Guide to Alternative ecommerce payments.
If you are in the market for new alternate payment options you should consider purchasing our Guide to Alternate Payment Options. The Guide goes beyond a general market assessment to provide information businesses need to assess solution options and service providers.
Fundamentals for Selecting ecommerce payment options
The Fundamentals of eCommerce Payment Options online training course provides an introduction to the world of eCommerce payments. The course provides an overview of the main eCommerce payment options that exist today, why businesses use alternative payments, how eCommerce payment options are grouped, as well as providing examples, mind share, market share, and the major players.
- Alternative Solutions - Specifically for accepting credit cards merchants should look into payment aggregators and credit term providers.
- Estimated Costs - To accept credit cards you need to have a merchant account. The fees associated with the merchant account are determined by your acquirer. The card associations set base rates for interchange and transactional fees but your acquirer will be the one that sets the rates you will pay above these base rates. Costs will vary based on the credit card association, type, plus other related fees (i.e. cross border).
- Credit Card Payments How important is it to take credit cards if you are doing business online? What can you expect from accepting credit cards online?
- Understanding the Players In this section we will discuss each of the major players in terms of what their role is, which other players they associate with or represent and how they make money.
- Credit Card Money Flow Learn how money is exchanged between the players within a credit card transaction.
- Chargebacks and Fraud Liability
In the card-not-present world the merchant is typically the one paying for the fraud. They already paid and lost the goods, all of the overhead costs they spent on the order, and they will still have to pay a charge-back fee.
- Credit Card Payments 101 Get answers to common questions about deciding to take credit card payments online.
- Are you overpaying for credit card processing? Don't be fooled by really low rates, there is more to your "total cost" for credit card processing than just the rate. Dig under the covers, and negotiate on all the fees.