- Fraud Library Home Page
- Online Payments General
- Online Fraud General
- Chargebacks General
- Fraud Prevention - eCommerce (CNP)
- Fraud Reference Articles
- Sales Conversion Articles
- Identity Theft General
- Prepared Research
online paymentsthe fraud library
As a merchant you have a lot of choices when it comes to accepting payments online. For the most part credit card payments have been the payment option of choice, but that doesn't mean that it is the right choice, or the only choice, for your business. For some companies they need to offer their consumers other payment options in combination with, or in some cases instead of, credit cards. We call non-credit card based payments "alternative payments". There are a number of reasons why merchants and consumers are looking into alternative payment types. Fundamentally the market drivers are regional preference, cost, security/trust and ease of use. Choosing the right payment options for your business is a critical component to being successful online and it can mean the difference between having no, little or high success with online conversion rates.
make it official - enroll now to get become a certified ecommerce payment specialist .
Getting yourself a fraud training certification will improve your ability to prevent fraud while increasing your value and potential for advancement with your employer. The Fraud Practice offers 8 careertracks and over 30 training courses related to e-commerce payments and fraud prevention. Check out our training options.read more
how much - should - you be paying for credit card procesing?
The Fraud Practice works with merchants in all verticals around the world to negotiate and setup merchant accounts. We offer a free competitive analysis to any merchant looking to see if they can get a better deal on their merchant account. We know which acquirers and payment service providers support which verticals. We also know where you can get the best possible pricing terms. Through our relationships with over 14 acquirers we will competitively shop your deal discreetly. We typically can save merchants 20% to 60% on their existing rates.
- Credit Card Alternative Payment Types. Alternative payment solutions are payment methods merchants can offer to their consumers that don't require the use of one of the major credit card associations.
- Direct Debit & Bank Services. Includes ACH, Direct Debit, electronic check, Elektronisches Lastschriftverfahren, meaning "Electronic Debit Procedure", and bank transfer services.
- Payment Aggregators. Aggregators allow merchants to accept credit card and bank transfers without having to setup a merchant account with a bank or card association.
- Credit Terms Alternative Payments. Credit Terms Payment Alternatives are services that extend credit to individuals to make purchases online.
- Cash Alternative Payment Services. The basic forms of cash alternative payments (i.e. escrow, paper checks, stored value accounts and money order) have been around for years but in the eCommerce world they have had limited success.
- Advertising Alternative Payment Services. Advertising alternative payment options pay for a consumer's goods or services if they opt in to a marketing program.
- Mobile Phone Payments. Instead of paying with cash, check or credit cards, a consumer can use a mobile phone to pay for a wide range of services and digital or hard goods.
- Invoice Payment Services. An invoice or bill is a commercial document issued by a seller to the buyer, indicating the products, quantities and agreed upon prices between the parties.
While there are a number of alternatives to credit cards for accepting payments; and credit cards are not the prefered payment method in all regions of the world; credit cards play a critical role in the online e-commerce alternative payment landscape. It is often said that if you aren't using credit cards then you're not doing business online.
The major credit card brands – American Express, MasterCard, VISA and Discover – have been the online payment options of choice since e-commerce was born. Credit cards enable merchants to conduct international cross border transactions and greatly expand the potential for converting sales and gaining new customers.
A Guide to the Alternative Payments Landscape. A Guide to Alternative Payments is a prepared research document, 60 pages in length, intended to provide organizations an overview of the eCommerce alternative payment options and markets.
- Credit Card Payments How important is it to take credit cards if you are doing business online? What can you expect from accepting credit cards online?
- Understanding the Players In this section we will discuss each of the major players in terms of what their role is, which other players they associate with or represent and how they make money.
- Credit Card Money Flow Learn how money is exchanged between the players within a credit card transaction.
- Credit Card Payments 101 Get answers to common questions about deciding to take credit card payments online.
- Are you overpaying for credit card processing? Don't be fooled by a really low rate, there is more to your "total cost" for credit card processing than just the rate. Dig under the covers, and negotiate on all the fees.